May 21, 2010

"Auberge Espangole"

So after many refusals on my part, my lovely friends finally forced me to watch "Auberge Espagnole" (for some reason I had it in my head that I wouldn't like it, I honestly don't even know why.) For those of you who don't know it, it's basically about a French guy who goes to Barcelona for his ERASMUS (which, fun fact, stands for European Region Action Scheme for the Mobility of University Students - I never knew what it stood for until I just googled it.) I imagine I would have liked it even if I wasn't currently doing an exchange, but the fact that I was made it much soo much funnier and that much more relate-able. So many parts just had us nodding our heads going 'yep, that's what being on ERASMUS is like.' Anyways, although I loved the movie, when the guy's year finally comes to an end, it made me think of the fact that in 5 days, MY ERASMUS year will essentially be over (OK, I still have a month of travel, but still) and the past year as I have known it (the people, school, way of life) will come to a close. There was also one quote from it that I particularly like:

'Quand on arrive dans une ville, on voit des rues en perspective. Des suites de bâtiments vides de sens. Tout est inconnu, vierge. Voilà, plus tard on aura marché dans ces rues, on aura été au bout des perspectives, on aura connu ces bâtiments, on aura vécu des histoires avec des gens. Quand on aura vécu dans cette ville, cette rue on l’aura prise dix, vingt, mille fois. Au bout d’un temps cela vous appartient parce qu’on y a vécu.'

The rough English translation for this quote is:

'When you first arrive in a new city, nothing makes sense. Everythings unknown, virgin... After you've lived here, walked these streets, you'll know them inside out. You'll know these people. Once you've lived here, crossed this street 10, 20, 1000 times... it'll belong to you because you've lived there.'

To me that quote perfectly describes my time living in Aix. Anyways, it was just the perfect movie to watch with my friends at the end of such an amazing year and it already made me incredibly nostalgic!

No comments:

Post a Comment